Planpraz launch site
• GPS : N 45° 56’ 08” E 006° 51’ 18”
• Direction : South & North East
• Altitude : 2 000 m
• Vertical drop : 1 000 m
• Access : Planpraz gondola. (reduced rates available in the summer for
pilots). Chamonix Railway station (SNCF) + 15 mins by foot.
• Site details/ equipment : Club info
board & Windsock.
• Remote FFVL weather station,
summit of Le Brevent 500 m above
• Registered FFVL site
Flight conditions: the site is useable from 8am through to early afternoon.
Dangers / Difficulties:
• To the left out from take off there are the Brevent cable car cables. Keep to the right & pass under thecables with a good margin.
• Once the conditions have become thermic, good pilot skill is required.
• Be aware that with West or North prevailing winds in excess of 20 kph at 2000m you are flying in lee side conditions & can expect strong, turbulent conditions.
• For XC flights towards the Flegere, beware of horizontal cables for the Brevent – Flegere cable car in the Combe Lachenal at approx 1 700 m ASL.
Ability: supervised beginner to XC pilot.
Landing field: Bois du Bouchet. The landing field is not visible from launch. Be sure to visit the landing before taking the gondola. An emergency landing field is available at Clos du Savoy (turbulent with strong valley winds).
• The Bois du Bouchet & Clos du Savoy fields are forbidden when there is snow on them (they become ski & XC ski pistes). Due to this the only available landing is the hang glider (Delta) field at Bois du Bouchet (enclosed & turbulent, picture page 42) see the notice boards or local pilots for the exact dates of the restriction.
• Above the highest ridge to the right (W / NW) of launch, overflying at less than 1 000 m above ground level is forbidden. (see p 28 & p 29 for details of the Aiguilles Rouges nature reserve).
• Check with pg schools or at the Club chalet (Bois du
Bouchet landing field) for any special rules affecting
the landing fields as they may occasionally be used
for civic functions.